Little Box Brownie: Gingerbread House

Gingerbread House


I decided I would attempt to make a gingerbread house, I made one many years ago when I was very young, I was about 7 I think, and it was a bit of a disaster. The whole thing pretty much collapsed as soon as I made it. The icing I used was just icing sugar and water which naturally didn't hold it together - you have to use some decent mortar. So now with years of baking behind me and a degree in Architecture I decided it was time to attempt a little gingerbread house again. So here she is, built strong with a royal icing. I have decorated it with m&m's, lots of sour straps for the roof and shutters, white chocolate for the ground, some heated sugar for the windows, and some green butter cream icing for the trees, but feel free to use what ever takes your fancy.
I hope you all have a great day tomorrow.
Happy baking xxx
Sophia




Gingerbread house

To make a gingerbread house I first cut a template out with some cardboard to make sure it all fitted together, it also makes it easier to cut the gingerbread out as you have a guide.

200g butter
4 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup golden syrup
2 eggs

Place the butter, flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger into a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the golden syrup and the eggs and pulse until a dough forms. Place the mixture in some cling-film and place in the fridge for 1 hour.

Pre heat the oven to 180C

Roll the gingerbread out on a floured surface and use the template to cut it out. Place the pieces on a baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes. Leave to cool on the baking trays before icing.

Royal Icing

3 egg whites
4 cups of icing sugar

Beat the egg whites in and electric beater until stiff then slowly add the sugar. Use a piping bag to pipe the icing on to the gingerbread, you may need to use a glass/cup to keep the gingerbread house together as the icing dried. Decorate with lots of candy and treats.