Little Box Brownie: Peanut Brittle Slice

Peanut Brittle Slice


Well... doesn't time fly when your having fun? It seems to be flying for me even when I'm not. I can't for the life of me believe how quickly the weeks are blurring together to form months. Its been nearly 3 weeks since my last post, I think thats a bit of a record. Its not that I haven't had recipes to put up, in fact I have a number of them, its just that I haven't found the time. So I hope no one has been waiting for their next sugary fix.
Wedding season is back in full gear and between that and spending every free minute sanding little Miss Daisy, which has had its fair number of dramas I might add, I have just lost track of time,

This next recipe is one I made months ago, so many months ago I can't even recall why. but its good, supper tasty in fact, just a little on the hard side to eat.



Peanut Brittle Chocolate Slice

Base

200 g butter
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg

Filling

1/2 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 water
50g butter
2 cups unsalted peanuts
1/4 cup cream

Topping

250g dark chocolate
50g butter

pre heat the oven to 170C

To make the base, cut the butter into cubes and rub into the flour and baking powder until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Then stir through the sugar and combine the egg until the mixture forms a dough. Press this into a 20 x 30 cm tin and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown, remove from the oven and set aside.

To make the filling, place the corn syrup, sugar and water into a saucepan and heat until the mixture becomes golden, swirl the pot rather than stirring the ingredients, or alternatively use a wet pastry brush to brush down the sides.  Remove from the heat and stir through the butter and cream, be very carful as the mixture with splatter and rise up. Stir through the peanuts and pour into the base immediately. 

To make the topping, place the chocolate and butter into a double boiler and heat until the chocolate has melted. Pour over the slice and leave to cool. Cut when cooled.