Little Box Brownie: Chocolate Pavlova

Chocolate Pavlova



So I made Julie and Julia's chocolate pie in the last post with 3 egg yolks and I had the whites remaining. So naturally I had to find a way to use them up, and really what on this earth could be more delightful than a pavlova? Nothing, nothing at all, well I thought maybe chocolate pavlova but I'm a traditionalist at heart and do prefer a plain pavlova, I know!! How can that be being the chocoholic that I am, but come on who messes with a good pavlova? Me, I do, but I wish I hadn't. Its good don't get me wrong but it's not like Mum's pavlova, which you can find here.
Anyway my great scheme to uses up the egg whites resulted in me having too use more eggs thereby having left over yolks again, but don't worry I solved this by making some ice cream. Waste not.





Chocolate Pavlova

6 egg whites
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
2 teaspoons cornflour
1/4 cup cocoa powder

Pre heat the oven to 180C
Place the egg whites in a clean dry bowl. With an electric beater whisk until the eggs form peaks, then slowly pour the sugar in, while still whisking. Sift in the cornflour and cocoa powder and pour in the vinegar and vanilla and fold through.
Draw a 20cm circle on three pieces of baking paper and place on baking trays. I do this so they all end up about the same size. I also put a little blob of the meringue on the down side of each corner of the baking paper so it doesn't move. Place the pavlova's in the oven and turn down the temperature to 100C. Bake for 1 hour then turn off the oven and leave the pav in the oven until cooled.

I have decorated the pavlovas with whipped cream, pomegranate and black berries from a tin. I also reduced the juice from the berry's with about 3/4 of a cup of sugar then swirled it on top.